Philippines tourist visa Extension
Photo: Mike Aunzo

In addition to having internationally acclaimed beaches, a hospitable english-speaking population, and a very affordable cost of living, the Philippines also has one of the most traveller friendly tourist visas in the world. It’s possible to stay in the country long term on a tourist visa without needing to buy an international flight for a visa run. Though the visa fees can get costly, it’s often cheaper and always less time-consuming than it would be to do a visa run.

First time visitors are often confused about the Philippines tourist visa policies. Here are some of the questions that I’ve heard over and over regarding Philippines tourist visas:

How much does a visa to the Philippines cost?

The Philippines Bureau of Immigration allows citizens of many countries to enter the Philippines for tourist purposes without a visa. For many nationalities, you can visit the Philippines without a visa for up to 30 days. This applies to a whopping 155 countries. Brazilians and Israelis have it the best and are able to stay 59 days without a visa! Find out if your nationality is eligible for entry without a visa in the Philippines here. If you want to stay longer, you will need to purchase and organize a visa extension to stay in the Philippines.

How much does the 59 day visa, or visa extension cost in the Philippines?

The cost will vary based on your age. It is cheaper for minors < under 16 years of age.  In the Philippines, a price for things like this is rarely straightforward. I have included a screenshot of all the seemingly random fee’s that added to the visa application process. My personal favorite is the sticker fee, what is that?

I have created a simplified list of the cost of a 59 day visa extension in the Philippines. The breakdown of all costs associated with applying for a 59 day visa extension, as well as a visa application checklist can be found here.

  • Below 14 years old:
    1 month: PHP 3, 150. 00
    2 month: PHP 3, 650. 00
  • 14 – 16 years old below:
    1 month: PHP 4, 150.00
    2 months: PHP 4, 650.00
  • Adult (16 years old and above):
    PHP 4, 400.00
    PHP 4, 900.00

It is worth noting that this should not be taken at face value. There are other Philippine visa cost variations when applying for:

  1. ACR I-Card
  2. Restricted nationals
  3. Tourists staying longer than 7 months.

The complete information on visa cost can be found on the PH Immigration website.

Do I need to show proof of an onward flight to visit the Philippines? What if I have an ACR I-Card?

You absolutely need to show proof of an onward flight before entering the Philippines. You will not be allowed to board your arrival flight without an itinerary showing your travel plans to leave the Philippines within the period your visa is valid. Showing the itinerary on your phone or laptop is not always enough, so it is probably still worth printing it. It is not fun to worry about missing an international flight because you’re hastily trying to purchase a flight last minute and figure out how to print your receipt in the airport.

Having an ACR I-Card does not count as having an entry visa. Therefore, even if you have a current ACR I-Card for long term Philippine tourists, you will still need to show proof of onward travel before entering the Philippines.

Pro tip: try our onward flight hack to provide proof of onward travel for the Philippines, without booking a flight!

Can I extend my visa on the day that it expires?

Yes, although I don’t recommend it. Check to make sure your expiration date isn’t on a holiday or weekend as the Bureau of Immigration is closed those days. This will result in you overstaying your tourist visa. If you try to extend your visa on the day it expires, and are not able to because you run into a problem, you will need to pay a fine for overstaying.

What happens if I overstay my Philippines Tourist visa?

Overstaying visas in the Philippines is unfortunately somewhat common due to a number of factors, some intentional but some not. It is worth noting that once you overstay, you are illegally staying in the Philippines. Depending on the severity of your overstay, you could also be deported. This means that you may also have trouble getting visas for other countries, so I don’t recommend it.

How much do I have to pay if I overstay my visa in the Philippines?

Accidents do happen, though, and if you do overstay your Philippines visa, you’ll need to pay a fine and deal with the disapproval of the immigration officers. The cost of overstaying your visa in the Philippines varies based on how long you have overstayed. As mentioned above, the fine also comes with a chance of getting deported from the Philippines, which can cause all sorts of problems with getting visas for other countries. The costs of overstaying your visa in the Philippines are outlined below. Please be aware these are subject to change. 

  • 4,310 From One day to One Month Overstay
  • 13,000 Total for Up to Three Month Overstay
  • 18,000 Total for Up to Six Months Overstay
  • 30,000 Total for Up to Twelve Months Overstay
  • 60,000 Total for Up to Two Years Overstay
  • 150,000 Total for Up to Five Years Overstay
  • 300,000 Total for Up to Ten Years Overstay
  • 440,000 Total for Up to Fifteen Years Overstay
    (Updated Sept 2017)

Is it cheaper to overstay the visa rather than pay for the visa extension?

In short, no it is not cheaper to overstay your Philippines visa.

Though it might be tempting to work out the cost of travel, plus the cost of the visa and realise that it would be cheaper, not to mention easier, to overstay your visa in the Philippines and pay the fine at the airport, this is a common misconception. If you try this, you will be slapped with not only the fine, but also the cost of renewing your visa at the airport.  

Do I need to purchase a visa when the valid Philippines visa time period is up?

Sort of. If you are a citizen of a country given 30 days visa free, then at the 30 day mark you will need to purchase a Philippines visa extension that is good for an additional 29 days. The total cost of the visa waiver is 3,130php. Previously it was 3,030php, but a 100php sticker fee has been added, at least at the Bureau of Immigration in Surigao.

What happens if I want to stay in the Philippines longer than 59 days?

Staying longer than 59 days requires a visa and an ACR I-Card. All Bureaus of Immigration can handle visa extensions of 1 or 2 months. Offices in larger cities allow for 3 or 6 month visa extensions.

What should I bring to immigration when I extend my Philippines visa?

  • Enough cash to pay for your visa or visa waiver. They usually have ATM’s near the immigration bearue, but, Philippine ATM’s can be very unreliable. If you want to get in and out of there as soon as quick as you can, be prepared.
  • A recent 2×2 photograph of yourself for the application form (depending on the office — it’s an outdated requirement but as of October 2016 some offices were still requesting them)
  • Close-toed shoes, a shirt that covers your shoulders, and pants (depending on the office)

I know I’m going to be staying long-term in the Philippines, can I apply for a long term Philippines visa in my home country?

Yes, you can apply for a visa in your home country. It will save a lot of visits to Bureau of Immigration offices and could be more cost effective and less chaotic. If you are planning to extend your visa in the Philippines and stay longer than 29 days, then I highly recommend taking the time to get the 59 day visa in your home country.

Do I need to visit an immigration office before I leave the Philippines?

Visitors that stay longer than six months will need to purchase an Emigration Clearance Certificate. The ECC is good for 1 month and should be purchased at least 72 hours before departure. It costs 1,210php.

The Philippine visa extension process can be mildly confusing. However, it’s great to be able to stay in such a beautiful country for a long period of time without needing to leave. Questions or additions? Leave it in the comments!

If you are staying long term in the Philippines, you should consider having a look at our travelers jobs board. We often have travel jobs available in the Philippines, and it’s free to signup!

Leave a Reply

  1. Avatar

    My boyfriend from UK his ticket is 31 days but on that day is his flight back to uk.Do he need to pay for extension?p

    1. Avatar

      It would be best to, but I have overstayed by a couple of days and got away with it before. It just depends on which immigration officer you get to be honest! Good luck!

  2. Avatar

    Im looking to stay in the Philippines for 45 days and im U.S passport holder. It seems smarter and more affordable just to pay the fine of 1010 peso for overstaying my visa free period or does that fine only refer to over staying a visa?. The real question is what happens if i over stay my visa free period without obtaining a visa?

    1. Avatar

      I tried this once before, and have had friends do the same thing, it’s a common mistake.

      They will make you pay the fine AND the cost of the visa, not just the fine.

      You can extend your visa within the Philippines as well, the service has been greatly improved and it doesn’t take long.

  3. Avatar

    I have a 59 day visa already with multiple entries visa so my question is that my plane ticket was changed so instead of Arriving at 4:00 a.m. in the morning I’ll be landing at 10:50 pm so I will be overstating my 59 day visa by 1 hour about so will I have to file for a Extension

  4. Avatar

    What if I stay 3 months on a tourist visa with an ACR-I card, leave for a few days, stay another 4 months and leave the Phillipines. Will I need an ECC or do the 6 months only count when I don’t leave the country for six months in a row?

  5. Avatar
    Suresh kalimuthu

    Hi everyone .!
    Need help

    I am using Indian passport
    Monday I applied Philippines visa for my 30 visit with full itinerary and confirmed hostel booking and flight tickets
    Yesterday I got a call from embassy
    the counsellor told me we grand a visa for period of stay 21 days in Philippines so change your flight ticket for 21 days period of stay in Philippines and submit your ticket on Tuesday and collect the passport evening 4:30 pm

    Is it possible to extend my stay another 9 days after I reach in Philippines
    Because last 9 days I planned to stay in Siargao

    1. Avatar

      Hi Suresh!

      It’s a pain because I know that the Philippines proposed to add India to the 30-day free visa list, but it obviously hasn’t happened yet. Sounds like a difficult visa situation for you there, I will do everything I can to help.

      Taken from the embassy website:

      Effective 20 April 2015, Indian passport holders do not require a visa for tourism travel not exceeding fourteen (14) days provided that they

      hold a valid residence or work pass issued by Singapore (including E Pass, S Pass, Work Permit,Student Pass, Dependant Pass), Australia, Japan, Schengen country, U.K. or U.S.A.

      have a valid ticket for return journey to country of origin or next country of destination

      have a passport valid for a period of at least six (6) months beyond the stay in the Philippines.

      It seems like Indian residents get 14 day visa free entry to the Philippines. If your return flight is outside of the time of your granted visa, then they may not allow you to enter, so extending whilst in the country is not really an option with your current travel plans.

      Usually, you can apply for an extended visa outside of the country, which is what I recommend you do. Speak to your immigration advisor and tell them that you would like to apply for a visa so that you can complete your trip.

      We do also have a guide for how to prove onward travel without booking a flight, but I have heard some people haven’t been successful with this method, so that one is up to you.

      I hope this helps, let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

  6. Avatar

    I plan to stay like 50 days to Philippines and I’m then thinking about visa extension, but something remains still unclear for me.
    If I choose to extend my visa to 29 more days while being in Philippines, can I arrive in Philippines with a printed flight itinerary lasting 50 days ? Or do I need to have an itinerary lasting less than 30 days otherwise I could have problem when I arrive there ?
    If I plan to stay 50 days in Philippines extending my visa once there, must I have a return flight less than 30 days after I arrive ?
    In that last case, changing a flight date would be quite costly, so I’m thinking better asking a visa before I’m entering Philippines…
    What do you think ?
    Thank you in advance.

    1. Avatar

      If you don’t have onward travel plans within your visa period, then there is a chance that you will not be able to enter if you are checked by an immigration officer.

      If your flight is not within the 30 day visa free period, the safest thing to do is to get a 59 day visa for the Philippines before you fly. This will also save you time and hassle when you are in the country.

  7. Avatar
    Adam Roy

    Hello everyone!

    For about a week now, I’ve been in UK, I’m currently in UK for work purpose, I got my work visa to UK processed by Team Alex U.S.A, You would want to apply for your visa to

    U.S.A, CANADA, UK, INDIA or to any other country about 2 months before travel, Apply directly, Contact Alex customer operation team on:[email protected],

    And request for visa information form that has all the step by step process on how to obtain a visa along with the fees for processing.

    If you’ve applied for a traveling visa before, And your request was not granted, Here is an opportunity for you, They can help you with preparing any type of visa you choose to apply

    for, If you are planning to travel to any other country other than USA, like UK, CANADA, Then you need to have flight itineraries for each and every city in your plan. You can get

    more inquiries about flight Itinerary for visa application here. No need to be struggling at Embassy, Do you have bad records in your country? They can still process a visa for you.

    Get an online visa application form now, Contact for more info and inquiries on how to get your visa ready, Contact with email:[email protected]

  8. Avatar

    Hi admin
    I have a friend who overstayed 6 years in Ph. How can she settle this?
    What are the process?

    1. Avatar

      Hi Kit,

      The fine for overstaying your Philippines visa for 6 years, well actually up to 10 years, is up to 300,000PHP. That’s around $15,000USD.

      That is a significant and obviously deliberate overstay, but it does happen. I would recommend the best thing to do is to speak to an immigration lawyer in the Philippines about the situation, as they will be much more knowledgeable about the best way to proceed. It’s important to follow the formalities in situations such as this as overstaying your Philippine visa for a long time like this is likely going to affect reentering the Philippines, and other countries in the future.

      I would advise your friend to address this issue as soon as possible.

      Best of luck.

  9. Avatar

    Hello, im staying in the philippines for 30days and im planing to go back to my country the 30th day. So my question is, is it okay to leave the country the 30th day or should i have to leave a day before the 30th day? Thanks

    1. Avatar

      As long as your return flight / onward travel is within the 30 day visa, then you’ll be fine 🙂

  10. Avatar

    Hi Admin,
    Great information, i have a question i have overstayed due to Money issues, that now thank god are sorted i come here June 15th last year so i have not overstayed a year yet.. if i pay all my fines now will i be able to stay here and not get blacklisted i am worried i will go pay my fees and they will frog march me to the airport!

    i am from the Uk.


    1. Avatar

      Hi James,

      With longer overstays, cases can be treated differently. My recommendation would be to speak to an immigration lawyer so that you can pay your fines and hopefully not get blacklisted. I assume you want to remain in the Philippines?

      The best thing I can suggest is to deal with this sooner rather than later.

  11. Avatar

    Hi Admin,

    I would like to ask, do you have knowledge on how to apply a residence visa in pH?


    1. Avatar

      What kind of residency? Are you marrying a Filipino?

  12. Avatar

    Hello Admin,

    My friend is a US citizen. She arrived here in Philippines 5 months back with plans of leaving next week. I understand that she does not require ECC anymore. My concern is, hers visa stamped in his passport had an extension date until April 19, 2018. We overlooked the one stamped in the passport because we relied on her ARC that was issued from February 19 that is valid until February 18, 2019.
    She is leaving in one week, what would you recommend for her to do? Will she be asked to pay any fine in the airport? Will this affect future entries in the Philippines?

    Appreciate your advise

    1. Avatar

      She may be asked to pay a fine for overstaying her visa, the fines for overstaying your visa in the Philippines are listed above in the article.

      I would recommend going to your nearest immigration office and sorting this out there. Its much less stressful, and often costs less than doing it at the airport on your departure.

  13. Avatar
    Ronald Sorkness

    I plan on coming to the phillippines under temp tourists visa with onward ticket return within 30 days, I will apply visa waiver ,29 days then extension of authorize stay , I plan on marriage with my phillipino girlfriend, my question is every time I go immigration office and apply for visa do I need onward ticket? any suggestions thanks Ron

    1. Avatar

      No, you should not need to provide proof of onward travel when you do your extension.

  14. Avatar


    I’ve been staying in the Philippines for over a year now and had gotten visa extensions every 2months. It’s just now that I learned that I can get a 6months extension. Any idea how much it will cost/total cost? Do you think this would be a cheaper alternative rather than every 2months extension? Thanks!


    1. Avatar

      Yes some visa offices don’t offer the 6 month visa extensions, such as the one in Surigao. However, most major cities do.

      Prices for the 6 month visa extension in PH are listed in the article.

  15. Avatar
    Datuh Habberd


    I have been staying in the Philippines since 30 hb January and I will be back this 23 July. So its around 25 weeks but less than 6 months. But I’m staying with a 9(a) visa that i get from embassy in my country and I get 4 month extension. My question is :

    a) Do I need a ECC ?
    b) If yes , can i apply my ECC 16 days from my departure ?

  16. Avatar

    Hi admin!

    I’ve been in the Philippines for over a year now and planning to apply for visa extension +ACR renewal this month. I usually just get the 2mos extension but now I’m thinking I might be better off to have the 6mos extension this time around. Do you have any idea how much the total fees are going to be?

    Thanks in advance!


  17. Avatar

    Hi sir I am a girl from india i am an author and 21 i am writing lot of e books in amazon and also paperback books and i have a gf in ph lucena city… actually this month i am planning to go chennai embassy to apply my tourist visa and i wanna stay more than 30 days and there is two reason one is i wanna be with her and i am writing a story about girls is ph who loves a girl because I know there are so many girls are bi and lesbian so my question is can i mention that truly like i don’t go there for tourism just for explore peoples and will they provide more then 30 days visa and i also have plan to study there next jan month in a film school so can I mention also for prove that I will come back after 2 months ?I know it’s hard to get visa if i am single and 21 and i don’t have perman2job…please tell me the good reason to get visa for 45 days…thanx in advance

    1. Avatar

      Hello there,

      You could get a 30 day tourist visa on arrival and extend your visa whilst in the Philippines. Or apply for the 60 day tourist visa in India.

      Or if it is a commercial trip, you could look into getting a business visa, but that would likely be more difficult and costly.

      Hope that helps!

  18. Avatar
    Virang Patel

    My name is virang patel.
    Need a help please do help me as humanity.
    I am studying here in Philippines and i have student visa but recently few months ago my visa was expired and due to some family financial reasons i was failed to renew my student i can still renew my visa and continue my education here or i have to pay the charges because of staying here without extending my student visa, even though it was not extended due to some reasons.

    Please do reply me ASAP.
    Thanks you.

    1. Avatar

      They probably won’t be sympathetic to personal reasons apart from in extreme circumstances. Ultimately, it is your obligation to hold a valid visa, and in the circumstance where there are reasons why you would be unable to renew, you should work with the immigration in the Philippines before your visa expires.

      In this case you will probably have to pay the fines, but you should be able to stay in the Philippines if you act fast.

      I do recommend sorting this out as soon as possible.

  19. Avatar

    hi sir

    i would like to know what will happen if a tourist doesnt have money to pay for her visa , she only have 21days free visa here in philippines. she arrive on may 29 and lasted her free visa on june 30 shes overstaying for about 11days.
    shes a russian with 2 yrs old daughter and pregnant.
    she doesnt have money to extend her visa also to buy ticket going back to her country ,
    where can we ask for help ?

    1. Avatar

      I really wouldn’t be able to tell you in that situation, but when traveling to any country you are expected to have enough funds to support yourself.

      I would go to the immigration office, and even the Russian consulate office and explain the situation.

  20. Avatar
    Virang Patel

    Thanks for replying my query sir.
    But my visa is been extended by my school so they said me that as much as I’ll be late for renewing my visa I’ll be charged 1000 peso per i am confused now what i should do? Coz I’ll apply this month already for extending my visa so…i should just go through what school is asking me to pay?

    Virang patel

    1. Avatar

      Who is saying you’ll be charged $1000 per month? This is incorrect. The fees for overstaying your visa in PH are listed below in Philippine Peso.

      4,310 From One day to One Month Overstay
      13,000 Total for Up to Three Month Overstay
      18,000 Total for Up to Six Months Overstay
      30,000 Total for Up to Twelve Months Overstay
      60,000 Total for Up to Two Years Overstay
      150,000 Total for Up to Five Years Overstay
      300,000 Total for Up to Ten Years Overstay
      440,000 Total for Up to Fifteen Years Overstay

      What is the issue with handling the visa extension yourself?